Last week I mentioned about my favorite mochi ice cream, so since I was able to make mochi already I decided to challenge myself and make different mochis every monday! dun dun dun… presenting MOCHI MONDAYS! ^___^/
So for the first Mochi Monday, I made vanilla ice cream cookie mochi! I used a different recipe from chapssaldeok I made last week – this recipe is specially for mochi ice cream 🙂
|¼ cup + 2 tbsp + 1 pinch (50 g) mochiko (glutinous rice flour)||Potato starch for dusting|
|1/3 cup + 4 tsp (100 mL) water||Vanilla ice cream|
|¼ cup + 2 tbsp (75 g) sugar||Chocolate cookie|
*The measurements in parentheses are based from the original recipe. I don’t have a weighing scale, so I based my weight on cup conversions for basic baking ingredients 🙂
- In a bowl, gradually add water to flour. Mix well until lumps are dissolved.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Using a double boiler, steam the mixture for 10 minutes.
- Take the mochi from the steamer then mix using a damp spoon. Return to the steamer, and steam for another 10 minutes.
- Coat a wax paper or any flat surface with potato starch.
- Drop the mochi onto the starched surface.
- Flatten the mochi using a rolling pin. Divide into 8 pieces.
- Place your shaped mochi on the top of a glass to form a cavity.
- Place one cookie and a tablespoon of ice cream.
- Fold the sides to form a ball. Then put in the freeezer to harden the ice cream.
I had a hard time folding the mochi because my ice cream was melting. Make sure to freeze your ice cream really hard, or work fast so you can form it into a ball. I have to practice more on the folding, so I better make them again soon! ^___^